Green Job of the Day is a feature of Green Collar Blog which highlights a job opening pertaining to environmental or social responsibility.
Job: Senior Civil Engineer (Low Impact Development)
Organization: Seattle Public Utilities (city of Seattle)
An excerpt of the job announcement follows below. You can review the complete job announcement here.
This position works under the direction of the Drainage and Dam Safety Section Manager in SPU's Project Management and Engineering Division and is responsible for design and project management of drainage projects. In addition to traditional drainage design, the position provides experienced design expertise and lead responsibility over SPU's green stormwater infrasturcture and work in creeks.
Typical Duties Include:
- Designing projects including drawings and technical specifications;
- Managing projects varying from simple to complex;
- Preparing, updating and monitoring project and engineering task estimates, schedules and budgets;
- Establishing design criteria and performance specifications;
- Investigating drainage problems and responding to customers' drainage complaints;
- Performing preliminary engineering to identify potential solutions to design problems and evaluating the risks and benefits;
- Reviewing and checking designs of in-house staff, consultants and other agencies;
- Hiring consultants and managing consultant contracts;
- Identifying and resolving project impacts on other City departments;
- Making technical presentations to various stakeholders, including the public, to inform, educate and receive input;
- Preparing a variety of reports, correspondence and official documents;
- Responsibilities may include: supervising and making work assignments, conducting performance reviews and providing training, mentoring and coaching.